Thanks very much to everyone who was able to attend our first Professional Development Book Club Meeting of the 2015-2016 school year. We read the first chapter of Culturally Responsive Teaching by Geneva Gay. During our discussion, we raised some interesting questions about culture and school, some of which are below. Please feel free to add to the discussion by clicking on the comments link below this post!
Discussion Questions from pages 1-21
- What are some of the assumptions that white educators bring to school?
- How might we unwittingly create/participate in systems that don't work for all students?
- Does "being fair" mean "being the same" for everybody?
- Which students do we give our attention to? Which students do we ignore?
- What are we doing right at our school?